Summertime means fun in the sun, picnics, barbecues, and family vacations. However, pests can ruin these special events, damaging your home, office, lawn, garden, outbuildings, decks, and more.
They also spread diseases that endanger the health and well-being of your family or pets. Of some comfort, however, is the fact that most household pests don’t pose much danger to humans. That certainly doesn’t mean they’re welcome in your home and property, and they can still cause significant damage to your property
Summer is a time to spend with the family and enjoy the great outdoors – not fret over annoying insects and rodents. As such, we’ve compiled a list of 12 simple ways you can keep pests from ruining your leisure time, damaging your home, and harming your family and pets.
These tips can help you enjoy a pest-free summer, but some vermin and some infestations are simply too much to be handled through these tips alone. If your home is infested with insects, or vermin are tearing up your property, the pest control professionals at Alpha Home Pest Control will identify the problem, mitigate infestations and remove unwanted critters, and we’ll even come back to your property to ensure the problem remains solved – all 100% guaranteed.
Here are 12 tips to keep pests away during summer:
1. Keep windows closed, and seal cracks and crevices. This will help keep insects and rodents out. If you must leave a window open, make sure it has screens on both sides. Cracks and crevices afford pests another means of entering your property, and sealing them helps keep them out.
2. Use insect repellent. It may not work against all types of bugs, but it should keep most of them away. You can find insect repellents at any grocery store and in multiple forms (sprays, candles, etc.).
3. Clean up after pets. Pet waste attracts ants and other insects, so be sure to clean up pet waste regularly, and don’t let animals roam free around your yard if you’re having a major pest problem.
4. Change air filters in your home. Dirty air filters can attract pests. Replace old ones with new ones when needed or as part of your routinely scheduled home maintenance.
5. Check for leaks. Leaks can allow pests to enter your home. Look for signs of water leakage such as wet floors or walls. Repair any leaks immediately.
6. Remove clutter. Clutter can trap pests or provide them with safe refuge in an inconspicuous place. Get rid of items that hold moisture, if possible, and store anything that could attract pests inside.
7. Be vigilant about trash. Trash attracts pests, especially when there’s some food scraps in there. Put garbage in sealed containers and dispose of it properly.
8. Maintain gutters. Gutters collect rainwater, and when they clog water backs up and causes flooding. That’s not the only concern, however. Clogged gutters can be moist and inviting habitats for pests. Keep your gutters debris-free to avoid flooding and pests.
9. Watch for pests. Bugs often hide during warm weather. Look for signs of pests such as droppings, nests, or webs. You can call a professional to perform a thorough inspection if you notice signs of, or suspect, a pest infestation.
10. Avoid unknown or unfamiliar pesticides. Many pesticides people are unfamiliar with can end up harming people and wildlife. Some even have long-lasting effects. Be sure any pesticides you use are safe. If you’d rather not risk it, call a local pest control company that uses family and pet safe pest control, such as Alpha Home Pest Control.
11. Vacuum frequently. Vacuuming removes dust and dirt that can attract pests, as well as crumbs and food bits that might otherwise provide a food source for pests.
12. Plant flowers. Flowers attract bees and butterflies, and these beneficial pollinators eat nuisance insects. Win-win.. Be careful though, certain pesticides and insecticides can harm your home’s bee and butterfly populations.
Hopefully, these tips will help you and your family enjoy a pest-free summer. However, the above tips are not enough to mitigate all pests and infestations. When you’ve reached that point, it’s time to call a pest control professional Alpha Home Pest Control of Idaho.
If you’re looking for professional pest control in Southwest Idaho, Alpha Home Pest Control offers a wide range of services, including: bed bug, cockroach, flea and tick, billbug, and mosquito treatments, as well as gopher/vole/rodent control and bird removal & exclusion tactics. We’re staffed with courteous and experienced pest control professionals, and our services and products are 100% family and pet safe.We are so confident in our services that we guarantee results.
Contact us today, and we’ll gladly help you resolve your pest control problems.